More than 150 years have passed since the first Irish and Italian immigrants settled in Cockeysville, seeking employment and a place to call home. Businesses and schools were established around the great kilns and quarries. To care for the spiritual needs of the people, Reverend Thomas O’Neill held Mass in the home of John Clarke. Eventually, Mr. Clarke donated land and stone for the construction of St. Joseph church. Father Lenaghan later added to church the familiar stone bell tower.
When St. Joseph celebrated its Centennial, it was a “small, country parish.” Growth made new demands, and in 1959, a new school year began with 462 students and a renovated parish hall. In 1966, Mass was celebrated in a new, enlarged church. Monsignor Paul Cook, Pastor from 1977 to 2015, renovated the rectory and grounds, and in the early 90’s, added new stained glass windows to the church. In 1999, new buildings were constructed to serve as a center for ministry and education.
Today, under the pastoral leadership of Msgr. Richard Hilgartner, St. Joseph Parish remains a dynamic and diverse community. With a spacious, modern facility and varied, innovative ministries, we seek to care for the spiritual needs of all parishioners while honoring our roots and traditions.