What is Confirmation?
Confirmation is the Sacrament that completes Baptism; in it, the gifts of the Holy Spirit is bestowed upon us. Anyone who freely decides to live a life as God’s child and asks for God’s Spirit under the signs of the imposition of hands and anointing with chrism receives the strength to witness to God’s love and might in word and deed. He/she is now a full-fledged, responsible member of the Catholic Church. When a coach sends a soccer player on to the playing field, he puts his hand on his shoulder and gives final instructions. We can understand Confirmation in a similar way. A hand is placed upon us. We step out onto the field of life. Through the Holy Spirit, we know what we have to to do and we have been given the power to do it. He has motivated us. His mission resounds in our ears. We sense His help. We will not betray His trust or disappoint Him; we will win the game for Him. We just have to want to do it and listen to Him (YouCat #203).
The Sacrament celebrates God’s presence in our lives as the Spirit guides, strengthens, and empowers us to live and witness our faith as disciples of Jesus Christ. This Sacrament is a commitment to God and the Catholic Church and therefore is one of choice. Confirmation is not required for the sacrament of Matrimony.
The fee is $175.00 payable to St. Joseph Parish and is due by start of the program.
A copy of the candidate’s Baptismal certificate is required at the start of the program.
1. The candidate’s family must be registered members of St. Joseph Parish or obtain a letter of permission from the pastor where the family is registered.
2. The candidate must be currently enrolled in their second consecutive year of Catholic school or Catholic Religious Education and be attending regularly.
3. The candidate must be an 8th grader or high school student.
4. The candidate must have celebrated the sacraments of Baptism, First Reconciliation, and First Holy Eucharist by January 1, 2014.
5. The candidate performs 20 hours of approved service.
6. The parent(s) must attend one scheduled Parent Meeting and various events and meetings throughout the year.
7. The candidate prays and attends Mass each Saturday/Sunday.
8. The candidate attends all Confirmation group classes, sessions, retreats and Liturgical Rites.
9. The candidate schedules and completes his/her interviews.
Sponsors, Confirmation Names
Each candidate must choose a sponsor who is a confirmed practicing Catholic (NOT A PARENT OR STEP-PARENT) who is 16 years old or older and someone who shares his/her faith and life with the candidate. Each sponsor must complete the sponsor document accepting the role of sponsor. The sponsor must also be present for the Sponsor/Candidate afternoon, the Rite of Becoming a Candidate, the Covenant Mass, the General Rehearsal and the Celebration of the Sacrament. The candidate must also choose the name of a saint or retain their baptismal name. The SPONSOR CERTIFICATE certified by the Pastor of the Parish where the Sponsor is a Registered Member must also be submitted.
The CONFIRMATION NAME must be submitted by the Pilgrimage Date.
Each candidate is responsible for successfully serving in an approved ongoing service in which they can use their gifts and talents. Service should be a minimum of 20 hours. Once completed, each candidate will write a reflection paper and get an evaluation from his/her supervisor. Complete information is available in the Youth Ministry Office.
1. Initial Parent/Candidate Orientation and Registration Meeting 2. CRS Service Morning
3. Parent/Candidate Pilgrimage 4. Sponsor/Candidate Afternoon Session
5. ”Rite of Becoming a Candidate” Mass 6. Retreat
7. Interviews with Staff Members 8. Six Confirmation Instructional Sessions 9. Covenant Mass
10. General Rehearsal 11. Confirmation Liturgy
Schedule for the above events is available through the Youth Ministry Office, 410-683-0600, ext. 5.