What is Confirmation?
Confirmation is the Sacrament that completes Baptism; in it, the gifts of the Holy Spirit is bestowed upon us. Anyone who freely decides to live a life as God’s child and asks for God’s Spirit under the signs of the imposition of hands and anointing with chrism receives the strength to witness to God’s love and might in word and deed. He/she is now a full-fledged, responsible member of the Catholic Church. When a coach sends a soccer player on to the playing field, he puts his hand on his shoulder and gives final instructions. We can understand Confirmation in a similar way. A hand is placed upon us. We step out onto the field of life. Through the Holy Spirit, we know what we have to to do and we have been given the power to do it. He has motivated us. His mission resounds in our ears. We sense His help. We will not betray His trust or disappoint Him; we will win the game for Him. We just have to want to do it and listen to Him (YouCat #203).
The Sacrament celebrates God’s presence in our lives as the Spirit guides, strengthens, and empowers us to live and witness our faith as disciples of Jesus Christ. This Sacrament is a commitment to God and the Catholic Church and therefore is one of choice. Confirmation is not required for the sacrament of Matrimony.
The fee is $175.00 payable to St. Joseph Parish and is due by start of the program.
A copy of the candidate’s Baptismal certificate is required at the start of the program.
1. The candidate’s family must be registered members of St. Joseph Parish. If the family just moved into the area a letter from the previous parish is required.
2. The candidate must be currently enrolled in their second consecutive year of Catholic school or St. Joseph EDGE and be attending regularly.
3. The candidate must be an 8th grader or high school student.
4. The candidate must have celebrated the sacraments of Baptism, First Reconciliation, and First Holy Eucharist by January 1, 2017.
5. The candidate performs the required amount of approved service hours.
6. The parent(s) must attend one scheduled Parent Meeting and various events and meetings throughout the year.
7. The candidate prays and attends Mass each Saturday/Sunday while completing the Mass Journal.
8. The candidate attends all Confirmation group classes, sessions, retreats and Liturgical Rites.
9. The candidate schedules and completes his/her interviews.
Sponsors, Confirmation Names
Each candidate must choose a sponsor who is a Confirmed practicing Catholic (NOT A PARENT OR STEP-PARENT) who is 16 years old or older and someone who shares his/her faith and life with the candidate. Each sponsor must complete the sponsor document accepting the role of sponsor. The sponsor must also be present for the Sponsor/Candidate session, the General Rehearsal and the Celebration of the Sacrament. The candidate must also choose the name of a saint or retain their baptismal name. The SPONSOR CERTIFICATE certified by the Pastor of the Parish where the Sponsor is a Registered Member must also be submitted.
Each candidate is responsible for successfully serving in an approved ongoing service in which they can use their gifts and talents. Candidates will record service in the back of their Confirmation journal book. Service leader should sign that you have completed the service.
Confirmation Program Structure — 2016-2017
Saturday, November 12 — 5:00pm-6:30pm (during Edge) – Session 1: Introduction Candidates and Parents
Saturday, December 3 at 11:00am to Sunday, December 4 at 2:00pm: Retreat — O’Dwyer Retreat House — Candidates Only — Parents and Sponsors invited for 1:00pm Mass on Sunday at the Retreat House
Saturday, January 7 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 2: Resurrection People — Candidates Only
Saturday, January 14 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 3: Men and Women for Others – Service Candidates Only
Saturday, January 21 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 4: Prayer: Staying in Touch with God — Candidates Only
Sunday, January 29 — 11:00am-3:00pm – Session 5: In Search of the Holy Spirit — Candidate and Sponsor – Rite of Enrollment
Saturday, February 4 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 6: Our Witnesses, The Saints — Candidates Only
Saturday, February 11 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 7: Anointed and Sent — Candidates Only
Saturday, February 18 — 5:00pm-6:30pm: Make-up Session for Candidates who missed one and only one session
Saturday, March 25 — Pilgrimage to Emmitsburg, MD 9:00am- 8:00pm Candidates Only
Confirmation Rehearsal and Ceremony – TBD — Candidates and Sponsors for Rehearsal