Confirmation Information & Calendar:
Sacrament of Confirmation
Establishing each person as an adult member of the Church, Confirmation marks a new beginning of a life of commitment, responsibility, and service in the faith community. The Sacrament of Confirmation celebrates the process of initiation in the Catholic Church that begins at Baptism and is nourished by Holy Eucharist.
The Sacrament celebrates God’s presence in our lives as the Spirit guides, strengthens, and empowers us to live and witness our faith. This Sacrament is a mature commitment to God and the Catholic Church. The fee ($175.00 payable at the parent introduction meeting) helps defray the cost of materials and events/activities. A copy of the candidate’s Baptismal certificate is also required at the time of the Parent Meeting.
1. The candidate’s family must be registered members of St. Joseph Parish or obtain a letter of permission from the Pastor of the Parish where the family is registered.
2. The parent(s) must attend the scheduled Parent Meeting.
3. The candidate prays and attends Mass each weekend with the family.
4. The candidate must be currently enrolled in their second consecutive year of Catholic school or Catholic Religious Education and be attending regularly.
5. The candidate must be an 8th grader or high school student.
6. The candidate must have celebrated the Sacraments of Baptism, Holy Eucharist, and Reconciliation by January 1, 2017.
7. The candidate attends all Confirmation group classes, sessions, retreats, and Liturgical Rites.
8. The candidate schedules and completes his/her interview.
9. The candidate performs approved service ministries.
Confirmation Name The candidate must also choose the name of a saint or retain their baptismal name.
Sponsor Each candidate must choose a sponsor who is a Confirmed practicing Catholic (NOT A PARENT OR STEP-PARENT); who is 16 years old or older; and someone who shares his/her faith and life with the candidate. A SPONSOR CERTIFICATE impressed with the Parish seal and signed by the Pastor of the Catholic Church where the Sponsor is a Registered Parishioner is required. The sponsor must also be present for the Sponsor/Candidate session, the General Rehearsal, and the Celebration of the Sacrament.
Ministry Opportunities Each candidate is responsible for successfully serving in approved ongoing service ministries, in which they can use their gifts and talents. Service must be completed in more than one program. Service within the St. Joseph Parish community is also required.
Confirmation Schedule — 2016-2017
Saturday, November 12 — 5:00pm-6:30pm (during Edge) – Session 1: Introduction Candidates and Parents
Saturday, December 3 at 11:00am to Sunday, December 4 at 2:00pm: Retreat — O’Dwyer Retreat House — Candidates Only — Parents and Sponsors invited for 1:00pm Mass on Sunday at the Retreat House
Saturday, January 7 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 2: Resurrection People — Candidates Only
Saturday, January 14 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 3: Men and Women for Others – Service Candidates Only
Saturday, January 21 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 4: Prayer: Staying in Touch with God Candidates Only
Sunday, January 29 — 11:00am-3:00pm – Session 5: In Search of the Holy Spirit Candidate and Sponsor – Rite of Enrollment
Saturday, February 4 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 6: Our Witnesses, The Saints — Candidates Only
Saturday, February 11 — 5:00pm-6:30pm – Session 7: Anointed and Sent — Candidates Only
Saturday, February 18 — 5:00pm-6:30pm: Make-up Session for Candidates who missed one and only one session
Saturday, March 25 — Pilgrimage to Emmitsburg, MD 9:00am- 8:00pm — Candidates Only
Confirmation Rehearsal – Saturday, April 1, 2017 – 1:00 to 3:00pm — Candidates and Sponsors
Confirmation Liturgy – Sunday, April 2, 2017 – 4:00pm Mass — Candidates & Sponsors to report by 3:00pm